Union for Agricultural Development Co. the biggest leader in the Egyptian Market for Producing Hi Quality VermiCompost & Derivatives and Bio Fertilizers
Member in IFOAM Organics International
A revolution is unfolding in vermiculture studies for vermicomposting of diverse organic wastes by earthworms into a nutritive “organic fertilizer” and using them for production of chemical free safe food in both quantity & quality without recourse to agrochemicals. Heavy use of agrochemicals since the “green revolution” of the 1960s boosted food productivity at the cost of environment & society.
It killed the beneficial soil organisms & destroyed their natural fertility, impaired the power of ‘biological resistance’ in crops making them more susceptible to pests & diseases. Chemically grown foods have adversely affected human health. The scientific community all over the world is desperately looking for an economically viable, socially safe & environmentally sustainable alternative to the agrochemicals. Several farms in world especially in North America, Australia and Europe are going organic as the demand for “organic foods” are growing in society. In 1980.
What is the Vermicomposting:
Vermicomposting is a method of making compost, with the use of earthworms, which generally live in soil, eat biomass and excrete it in digested form. This compost is generally called vermicompost or Wormicompost.
What is the Vermiculture:
Vermiculture means scientific method of breeding and raising earthworms in controlled conditions.
What is the Vermitechnology:
Vermitechnology is the combination of vermiculture and vermicomposting.
Advantages of vermicomposting
- Vermicompost is an eco-friendly natural fertilizer prepared from biodegradable organic wastes and is free from chemical inputs.
- It does not have any adverse effect on soil, plants and environment.
- It promotes better root growth and nutrient absorption.
- It improves nutrient status of soil both macro and micro-nutrients.
- Vermicompost improves the physical, chemical and biological properties of the soil and it improves soil aeration, texture and tilth thereby reducing soil compaction.
- Earthworms effectively harness the beneficial soil micro flora, destroy soil pathogen and convert organic wastes into vitamins, enzymes, antibiotics, protein rich products and others organic compounds.
- It also controls soil as well as environmental pollution and it maintains the soil health and improves water retention capacity of soil because of its high organic matter content.